Sunday, November 7, 2010

Daylight Saving Time (DST)

My first job was a call center agent .  I responded to the queries of customers across the globe. Since we’re an Asian country, we don’t actually observe Daylight Saving Time (DST).  One day, it happens that one of my supervisors instructed us to change our time due to DST.   The first thing that crossed my mind was, what the heck we’re doing?  What the hell is DST!  Is it  a.) Are we going to use solar panels to save energy? b.) Switch off the light in the morning?  c.) Do a dance craze similar to oompa loompas ? or  d.) Do I need to drain the energy from the sunlight , using a laser sword like in Power Rangers ? (Those were the stupidest queries I had in mind when I first heard of such word).  Well I guess, I was not the only moron during that time. No one can exactly tell what it is including my supervisors. They’re just following orders I guess ^_^

WHAT IS DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME (DST)?
It is a way of getting  more light out of the day by advancing clocks by one hour during the summer. Since, the sun appears to rise one hour later in the morning and sets one hour later in the evening making the day longer. The clock moves ahead ( thus, losing one hour), when DST starts, typically in the spring, and falls  back one hour (thus, gaining one hour) when DST ends in the fall.  To make it easier to remember which way the clock goes, keep in mind one of these sayings: " Spring forward, fall back" or spring ahead, fall behind."
In a typical case where a one hour shift occurs at 2:00 local time, in spring the clock jumps forward from 2:00 standard time to 3:00 DST and that day has 23 hours, whereas in autumn the clock jumps backward from 2:00 DST to 1:00 standard time, repeating that hour, and that day has 25 hours.

WHEN DID IT START? 

1784- Benjamin Franklin first suggested Daylight Saving Time.
1895- Modern DST was proposed by George Vernon Hudson( He presented a proposal for a    two-hour daylight saving shift to the Wellington Philosophical Society.
1905- The conception of DST was mainly credited to an English builder, William Willett ( He presented  the idea to advance the clock during the summer months.
1916- DST was adopted and implemented by several countries in Europe who initially rejected the idea.

Sources: http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/
               http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time#How_it_works

3 comments:

  1. I don't do DST. I work and live on a dairy with Amish all around us. So we stay on slow time throughout the year to harmonize better with the cows and the Amish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DST is a PAIN!!! Always having to remember which Saturday night to change your clocks... and the mix-ups that happen when you forget! Fortunately for me the two times I forgot were in October so I ended up being an hour early someplace... One of my university professors forgot to change his clock in March and showed up an hour late, and since he was always 10' late anyways, he walked into the middle of the next teacher's class and as all surprised! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Suzzy! I checked out your blog and I really envy your life on the farm. I miss my grandparents so much. Too bad, they living too far from the city.

    @Cris! You're absolutely right! Mix-ups would be the number one problem. It's really too complicated if you don't do it often. Well anyway, does DST really make sense? haha! I ain't sure about it.

    Thanks for the comments guys =)

    ReplyDelete